CPUs

AMD’s Ryzen Market Share Rises to All-Time High as Intel Plunges to New Depths

AMD’s Ryzen processors had an excellent month, leveraging the Black Friday and Cyber Monday sales to penetrate further into the Steam user base. Team Red’s CPUs accounted for nearly 34% of Steam’s gaming audience, up +8.30% from the previous month. Meanwhile, Intel CPUs saw a sharp decline in popularity, with an -8.31% drop in November. When writing, 66% of Steam users leveraged an Intel PC.

On Windows PCs, Intel CPU popularity declined across all skews, the exception being higher-end SKUs with a base clock of 3.3GHz to 3.69GHz. On AMD’s end, every segment gained market share, led by the higher-end SKUs with a base clock of 3.3GHz and higher. We recently reported CPU sales figures during the Black Friday and Cyber Monday campaigns. You might find those relevant.

On Linux, AMD remained the dominant force, with a CPU market share of 70.69%, while Intel clung to the remaining 29.30%. It has been a while since Team Ryzen conquered the open-source market, leaving Intel with scraps and pieces ever since. We’ve seen little to no change in the numbers in the last two quarters, leaving AMD firmly with about 70% of the share.

The GPU market mostly belonged to NVIDIA, with all top positions held by GeForce cards. The RTX 3060 laptop is the most popular among Steam gamers, followed by the GTX 1650 and the RTX 4060 laptop.

The Radeon RX 6600 is the most popular RDNA GPU, followed by the RX 6700 XT and the 6500 XT. There’s a notable absence of next-gen cards from the GPU adoption list of November, indicating limited market movement and a focus on older, perhaps used hardware.

The Radeon RX 7900 XTX and the GeForce RTX 4090 were the only next-gen GPUs in the Steam November chart. The GeForce RTX 4050, 4060, and 4070 mobile were relatively popular, but the remaining spots belonged to older pre-RTX graphics cards.

Areej Syed

Processors, PC gaming, and the past. I have written about computer hardware for over seven years with over 5000 published articles. I started during engineering college and haven't stopped since. On the side, I play RPGs like Baldur's Gate, Dragon Age, Mass Effect, Divinity, and Fallout. Contact: areejs12@hardwaretimes.com.
Back to top button